Wednesday, November 20, 2013

{MANUFACTURING PROCESS} FROM LIQUID PORCELAIN TO FINE JEWELRY II


After the bisque firing the porcelain pieces are more solid but they still can crack easily. Now it´s time for the sanding. Since I`m not working as precise as I should do in the first phase of the manufacturing process, the sanding takes a bit more time. But I enjoy watching the pieces change their character from rough to fine.







Due to the high dust formation and its negative effect for the health, I prefer wet-grinding. It is a big mud bath but wasn´t that a reason to abandon my graphic design job: to get my hands dirty again!


In this phase it´s also time for glazing and adding color to the pieces. But about my color experiments I´m gonna publish a separate post.



When the work is done the pieces have their final firing – the glaze firing – during which they shrink about 14 percent.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...